Our Royal Family

Our Royal Family

My Boy

My Boy
Age 14

The Countessa

The Countessa
Age 14

The Duchess

The Duchess
Age 13

The Princess

The Princess
Age 11

The Pooch

The Pooch
age 6

Miss Pooch

Miss Pooch
age 2

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Mother's Day 2010...one I will never forget!

My Mother's Day began as all prevoius Mother's Days have.  I got to sleep in and my kiddies woke me with breakfast in bed.  The rest of the day..........not so usual!!

When my kids came in to give me my breakfast I immediatly noticed The Princess was not among them.  Initially I was not surprised, she had been vomiting and running a low-grade fever the day before.  Hubby said she was asleep on the couch.

I opened my gifts from the kids and then they left me to eat my breakfast and take a shower.

When I came out of the shower Hubby came in and said The Princess was breathing oddly.  I went out to look at her and her breathing was very quick and shallow.  She was still asleep and Hubby said she had refused all food and water since waking 2 hours earlier.  He also told me she had not urinated.  This meant she hadn't urinated sine 8:30am the morning before!!

I called her pediatrician and spoke with an advice nurse.  The number one concern was dehydration.  The nurse put me on hold to speak with an Emergency room doctor.  She came back on the line and said his recommendation was to "force fluids and schedule a phone appointment for later in the day."  Then the nurse, GOD Bless her, said "I'm not comfortable with that and I 'm checking for an appointment to bring her in."  The Princess was scheduled for a 2pm appointment.  It was currently 11am.

From 11am to 1:30pm The Princess mostly slept.  She would be awake one minute and then seemed to instantly fall asleep to awake crying that her tummy hurt just minutes later.  During this time I was able to get her to eat a pedialite popsicle.

We arrived for her appointment and they immediatly started giving her 5ml of pedialite every 5 minutes.  Her temp was 101 and she had started sounding crackly when she breathed.  Still her breathing was quick and shallow and her skin would sink in at her collarbone area.

The nurse, Tony, put a Pulse Ox machine on her and all of a sudden alarms started going off.  Her oxygen saturation was 88%.  From that point on we were never left alone!  She was given 2 breathing treatments that brought her level up to 90% but it would drop back down after the treatment.  She was then put on oxygen and taken STAT for chest x-rays.

After the x-rays her doctor came in and said "She has sever phnuemonia and I'm sorry to tell you but she needs to be admitted, the ambulance is on it's way."  Needless to say I was SHOCKED!!!  I asked that my husband be called and told what was going on, I was staying with The Princess because they were starting an IV right then and getting IV antibiotics going right away.

My poor Hubby was at our Boys baseball game with our other girls and was completely caught off gaurd! As far as he knew I was taking her to the doctor and going to meet him back at home.  My friend told me he got off the phone and literally said "She's in an ambulance being taken to the hospital."  She said he didn't know what to do!!

The hospital she was being admitted to is 45 minutes from her peditricians office.  With lights flashing we made it there in less then 30 minutes.  She fell asleep in the ambulance and the poor sweetpea vomited as soon as we arrived.

She was rushed upstairs, and honestly the next few hours are a complete blur to me.  There were doctors and nurses coming in alot, lots of tubes and wires being attached to her.  And through ALL of this she did not cry once!!!!!  Even when her IV was being put in!!!! 

For the next two days she barely spoke.  This was very hard on Hubby and I because The Princess is a very chatty, very active little girl, and to see her lying in this big bed with an oxygen mask on and tubes everywhere and her not speaking was brutal!!!!

During her hospital stay it was also discovered she had a partial collapsed lung on her left side, which we were told was not uncommon with phnuemonia to the degreee she had it.  It was completly on her left side and was moving in a "V" pattern up her right side.

What is very scarey is this all happened without warning, with no prior illness and in less then 24hours.  It came on fast and hard!

She spent the next 3 days in the hospital, and I never left her side.  Yes, I remained in the same clothes from Sunday-Wednesday!!  She was released yesterday afternoon and has to conitnue antibiotics for 4 more days and has to have albuteral breathing treatments every 4 hours.  She goes to see her pediatrician on Monday and at that point we are hoping for the all clear diagnoses!

This photo was taken Monday Night.  She had been switched from an oxygen mask to little tubes in her nose which were much more comfortable for her. 


Her Brother and Sisters had been very worried about her so Hubby brought them for a breif visit so they could see she was getting better.


By Tuesday afternoon she was able to be taken off supplemental oxygen and was more willing to interact with people.  Here she is playing Tic-Tac-Toe with her Auntie PamPay.


Here she is getting one of many breathing treatments.  These were done every 4hours around the clock.


By Wednesday morning she was almost 100% back to her normal self!!


During this entire ordeal she was an incredibly brave little girl.  Here she is getting her IV removed.


Here she is pointing to the pain chart used through out her stay to communicate with hospital staff about how she felt.  She is pointing to how she felt when she first arrived..."Severe Pain"


Her sisters were VERY happy to have her back at home.  Here The Countessa helps her do her breathing treatment.


After bath last night, I found her and The Duchess cuddleing and chatting in The Duchesses bed.


I am so thankful to have My Princess feeling better and back home!! 
This most certainly will be a Motherer's Day I will never forget!!

And I am especialy thankful to the Kaiser advice nurse I spoke with on Sunday morning. 
If she hadn't ignored the doctors recommendation I don't even want to think of what might have happened to my little Princess!!! 

0 comments: